ProMIS Neurosciences Inc. (PMN:TSX; ARFXF:OTCQB) and its partner, BC Neuroimmunology (BCNI), will collaborate to develop highly sensitive and specific assays for use in accurately screening for and diagnosing Alzheimer's disease, ProMIS announced in a news release.
"We intend to help address this very important unmet need by capitalizing on our existing portfolio of antibodies and antigens and applying these existing assets to BCNI's outstanding expertise in the development of high performance diagnostic tests," ProMIS Executive Chairman Eugene Williams said in the release.
The two companies state they intend to use surface plasmon resonance (SPR) technology, with which they both have extensive experience, to develop sensitive blood-based Alzheimer's disease diagnostic tests cheaply and quickly. ProMIS has a "unique, core technology to predict novel targets on the molecular surface of complex proteins."
Because significant advances have been made in the throughput and stability of SPR technology, it could replace ELISA, or enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, as the new cost-effective standard, the release stated.
ProMIS and BCNI also are working on developing an SPR-based antibody assay designed to achieve 100% sensitivity and 99.9% specificity for the virus that causes COVID-19.
"At BCNI, we are developing high-throughput SPR tests in conjunction with ProMIS whose unique peptide antigens are anticipated to be a critical component for development and commercialization of top quality assays targeting infectious disease, such as COVID-19, and neurodegenerative disease, such as Alzheimer's," BCNI CEO Dr. Hans Frykman said in the release.
Read what other experts are saying about:
1) Doresa Banning compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. She or members of her household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. She or members of her household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: ProMIS Neurosciences. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article until three business days after the publication of the interview or article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases. As of the date of this article, officers and/or employees of Streetwise Reports LLC (including members of their household) own securities of ProMIS Neurosciences, a company mentioned in this article.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.